Why hiring a REALTOR® can be the best decision you make when buying or selling real estate:
- Your REALTOR® can help you determine your buying power
that is, your financial reserves plus your borrowing capacity.
- Your REALTOR® has many resources to assist you in your home search.
Sometimes the property you are seeking is available but not actively advertised in the market, and it will take some investigation by your agent to find all available properties.
- Your REALTOR® can assist you in the selection process by providing objective information about each property.
REALTORS® can provide local community information on utilities, zoning, schools, etc. There are two things you’ll want to know. First, will the property provide the environment I want for a home or investment? Second, will the property have resale value when I am ready to sell?
- Your REALTOR® can help you negotiate.
There are myriad negotiating factors, including but not limited to price, financing, terms, date of possession and often the inclusion or exclusion of repairs and furnishings or equipment.
- Your REALTOR® provides due diligence during the evaluation of the property.
Depending on the area and property, this could include inspections for termites, dry rot, asbestos, faulty structure, roof condition, septic tank and well tests, just to name a few. Your REALTOR® can assist you in finding qualified responsible professionals to do most of these investigations and provide you with written reports.
- Your REALTOR® can help you in understanding different financing options and in identifying qualified lenders.
- Your REALTOR® can guide you through the closing process and make sure everything flows together smoothly.
- When selling your home, your REALTOR® can give you up-to-date information on what is happening in the marketplace and the price, financing, terms and condition of competing properties.
These are key factors in getting your property sold at the best price, quickly and with minimum hassle.
- Your REALTOR® markets your property to other real estate agents and the public.
Often, your REALTOR® can recommend repairs or cosmetic work that will significantly enhance the salability of your property. Your REALTOR® markets your property to other real estate agents and the public.
- Your REALTOR® will know when, where and how to advertise your property.
There is a misconception that advertising sells real estate. The NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS ® studies show that 82% of real estate sales are the result of agent contacts through previous clients, referrals, friends, family and personal contacts.
- Your REALTOR® can help you objectively evaluate every buyer’s proposal without compromising your marketing position.
This initial agreement is only the beginning of a process of appraisals, inspections and financing — a lot of possible pitfalls.
- Your REALTOR® can help close the sale of your home.
Between the initial sales agreement and closing (or settlement), questions may arise. For example, unexpected repairs are required to obtain financing or a cloud in the title is discovered. The required paperwork alone is overwhelming for most sellers.
Courtesy of NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF REALTORS®